How to Remove a Lipstick Stain from Carpet
Step 1: Scrape or blot up excess spill.
Step 2: Apply detergent solution (see "Cleaning Solutions"), use damp towel, and leave 3-5 minutes.
Step 3: Blot-don't rub.
Step 4: Apply white vinegar (undiluted), using a damp towel.
Step 5: Apply water with damp sponge.
Step 6: Blot again. Finish by weighing down a half-inch thick pad of white paper towels to absorb all the moisture. Leave overnight if necessary.
Cleaning Solutions to have on hand:
1. Detergent: Mix 1/2 teaspoon clear dishwashing detergent with one cup of warm (not hot) water.
2. Pre-soak Solution: Mix 1 teaspoon of enzyme laundry detergent (such as Axion, Biz, or others) with one cup of water.
3. Dry Powder Cleaner: Use powdered carpet cleaners.
4. Dry Cleaning Solvent: Non-oily, non-caustic type sold as spot removal for garments. Caution: May be flammable.
* Note: Not all carpet fibers react the same way when treated for stains. Before proceeding with any of the preceding cleaning procedures, we recommend you contact the appropriate fiber company for their suggested maintenance guidelines. Failure to follow these carpet stain removal guidelines may void your warranty. For more information, please contact your Carpet One retailer.
Note: If your carpet has an Ultra 25aWarranty, you must call 3M directly prior to treating any stain. Failure to do this will void your warranty.
Have another stain? Check out our carpet stain removal guide.